Museums, get organised
To ensure the success of International Museum Day, we need your help!
You are the ambassadors of International Museum Day. Thanks to the activities that you organise and the strong connections you develop with your public, this event continues to be a success year after year. In addition to the activities you plan, your participation in International Museum Day is an opportunity for you to:
- Implement partnerships with schools, associations, libraries, other museums, etc. to promote your event and reinforce your links with organisations with similar goals;
- Advocate for the role of museums in our societies by letting local, regional, and national authorities know about your activities and why they matter for the general public;
- Spread information about International Museum Day through the local press, your social media and your website;
- Gain international visibility about your activities by sharing information about your International Museum Day events with ICOM, allowing us to spread the news throughout our network and beyond.
When preparing a special activity for International Museum Day 2020, we recommend that you follow five important steps:
- TARGET A SPECIFIC PUBLIC
You can choose to target your regular visitors or a new public. In any case, we recommend you to target a specific public/demographic such as children, senior citizens, a minority, etc. Given the theme of 2020, another interesting strategy is to organise an event that aims at bringing together two different publics that rarely interact.
- DEFINE YOUR OBJECTIVES
Your aim can be to reach a new public, highlight your participation in the community, be heard by public authorities, make your institution known to potential partners, etc.
- FORGE INSTITUTIONAL PARTNERSHIPS
International Museum Day is an opportunity to create local, national or international partnerships and sponsorships, regarding many aspects – from collections, to mediation or financing.
- MAKE ICOM PART OF YOUR CAMPAIGN
Let your ICOM National Committee and the ICOM Secretariat know about the activities you plan so we can help you promote them at a national and international level. Do not forget to send us pictures and tag us on social media!
- MAKE A POST-EVENT EVALUATION
It is important for you to analyse the success of your International Museum Day and its effective impact. We also encourage you to send images and your outcomes to your ICOM National Committee – they might feature in ICOM’s Annual Report!